“Pathways To Farming” press release

11th April 2018

Community group receives 100% funding for three-year “Pathways to Farming” project

Mach Maethlon, a community organisation encouraging local food production, has secured 100% funding to run a three-year pilot project called “Pathways to Farming”. This project, which has a budget of £104,000, aims to create new innovative markets for locally produced food in Powys. It will coordinate a network to support more people to access land for production, provide training and qualifications and develop new alternative market opportunities for this produce.

To deliver this project Mach Maethlon will be hiring a Project Coordinator who will be responsible for activities such as managing the training programme, securing land for growing, recruitment of participants, holding public engagement events, building networks and measuring and reporting outcomes.

The community group will also be hiring a part-time Mentor to lead the delivery of vocational training in food production.

As “Pathways to Farming” is a pilot project, the results of the three year programme will be made available to other organisations across Powys and the rest of Wales, so they can benefit from lessons learned. The project will be assessed against the over-arching aims of the Well-Being of Future Generations Act 2015 to identify where gains have been made towards these sustainability goals.

80% of the funding is from the Welsh Government Rural Communities – Rural Development Programme 2014-2020, via Arwain, the LEADER Programme in Powys. The remaining 20% has now been secured from the Ashley Family Foundation.

Mach Maethlon is a not-for-profit cooperative based in Machynlleth, Powys, and over the last five years has established a vegbox scheme which sources its produce locally; a community project called Edible Mach which has established twelve “edible sites” around town for the public to pick veg for free, and runs gardening and cooking workshops; and has put in place a land-share initiative to match people seeking growing land with those that can offer it.

With the new “Pathways to Farming” project Mach Maethlon is taking a significant step forward in encouraging the development of locally-grown produce, through stimulating both production and consumption across north Powys.

Email : info@machmaethlon.org

Website : www.machmaethlon.org

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/machmaethlon/

View Website Sitemap